Wednesday, May 29, 2024

Language Limericks

-Confusion-

Whether or not you seek glory,

Whenever you're writing a story,

You'll know on the double

That you're in big trouble

If you confuse "hoary"° with "whorey."

 

°definition: old and trite

 

-Grammar-

It's really quite shocking to me

When speakers of English can't see

What they convey

Whenever they

Use "him" when they ought to use "he."

 

-Subjunctive-

They say the subjunctive° is dying.

If I said, "Who cares?" I'd be lying.

If I were you,

I'd do what I do:

Perfect it! At least I'd keep trying.

 

°The subjunctive mood expresses wishes, suggestions, demands, or desires.

 

-Past Participle-

To another thing I must ask "Why?"

To the past participle, say "Bye!"

Why don't folks give a damn

When they say "We have swam,"

"He has ran," "I have drank"? My, oh, my!

 

-Past Perfect-

The past perfect tense I can tell

Can cause people problems as well.

Some folks abuse it;

Some just don't use it.

Use "had" with the past par…. Ah, hell!


-by Bob B (5-28-24)

No comments:

Post a Comment