Monday, May 20, 2024

Dancing in the Nude

When growing up, I never had

The feeling that I was a finicky prude,

And even though it wasn't a custom

For us to parade around in the nude,

 

My easygoing Midwestern parents

Never felt that it would befoul

Our minds if after bathing they

Returned to their bedroom wrapped in a towel.

 

I learned, however, that some people were

In many respects less modest than others.

For instance, my friend's mother's behavior

Was very different from my mother's.

 

We'd be playing--my friend and I--

When all of a sudden his mom would prance

Into his room not wearing a thing,

Almost as though she was doing a dance.

 

It was…different, but not for me

A reason for laughing, fleeing, or fainting.

I was used to seeing scores

Of nudes in many a Renaissance painting.

 

Unfazed, my friend and I continued

To do whatever we were playing

As though we had merely witnessed his mom

Vacuuming, baking pies, or crocheting.

 

We humans are the only mammals

That stifle our belches, excuse our farts,

And feel that it's very necessary

To cover up our private parts--

 

Unless you are a nudist, of course.

That, we know, is a different matter.

So, birthday suit or covered body?

I think I will stick with the latter.

 

I have been to nude beaches

Both in the States and overseas.

Instead of feeling liberated,

I felt a little bit ill at ease.

 

I do not find nudity

Offensive at all, so please take note:

If that's your thing, then be my guest

And do whatever floats your boat.

 

If "clothes make the man," as the saying goes,

Nudity levels the playing field.

But I feel more relaxed if certain

Body parts remain concealed.


-by Bob B (5-20-24)

No comments:

Post a Comment