Wednesday, June 5, 2024

Poem 1400

This is my fourteen-hundredth poem

Published on my blog so far.

My inspirations are almost endless--

Sort of like an open bar.

 

I'm going to quote myself this time

By using almost to the letter

Lines that come from my twelve-hundredth poem.

It's hard to say it any better:

 

I've "published" my poems on various sites,

Which, as I said, include my blog.

"For me, my poetry collection

Is almost like a travelogue--

 

"A mental travelogue depicting

My thoughts traveling to and fro."

I'm never certain where my thoughts

Will take me. "I just go with the flow.

 

"Today might be a little visit

To a place called 'Hypocrisy-land.'

There you'll find politicians

Who have gotten out of hand.

 

"Tomorrow might take me to a place

Where I spend a lot of time--

A place where animals can talk

And anecdotes are put to rhyme.

 

"To outer space my mind might travel;

Or out to explore nature's wonders.

Perhaps I'll take a nostalgic trip

Or write about people's triumphs or blunders."

 

Climate change, current events,

"Unknown figures, people of fame,

Likable folks, and miscreants, too,"--

All these topics become fair game.

 

Religion is not off-limits, for I

Detest religious hypocrisy,

The ways religion is misused,

And the dangers of a theocracy.

 

Sometimes I'll write a poem that could

Be sung to a melody of my own;

Or maybe I'll write a poem that could

Be sung to a song that is well known.

 

"Eschewing ambiguity

Or language rich in metaphor,

I find that a simple, conversational,

Straightforward style suits me more.

 

"To many poets, poems that rhyme

Are--according to them--passé.

Although it has its limitations,

Rhyming for me is here to stay."

 

The quoted lines are what I wrote

In December 2021.

Writing continues to be a challenge

That's stimulating, exciting, and fun.

 

So when it comes to poetry,

I don't want to be myopic.

I maintain that anything

Imaginable can be a topic.


-by Bob B (6-5-24)

No comments:

Post a Comment