Monday, March 23, 2015

Spiders!

Would you hold a tarantula
On your upturned palm
And watch it creep up your arm
While you stayed cool and calm?

You might be able to do it,
Or at least be willing to try.
Not for a billion dollars!
No, no, no…not I!

In some parts of the world
Tarantulas are a snack.
Could you eat one without
Having a heart attack?

They're roasted on a stick
And eaten with gusto and glee.
That might be something you'd like;
It's NOT my cup of tea.

Tell me: why do spiders
Send shivers down my spine?
Only some are dangerous;
Most of them are benign.

I mean, in CHARLOTTE’S WEB
I have to admit that I cried
When--SPOILER ALERT!--
The poor spider died.

Although in my garden they eat
Flies and other critters,
Despite their usefulness,
They STILL give me the jitters.

Maybe some spider jokes
Would make them less of an irk:
A spider walked into a bar…
No, that doesn't work.

I have to see spiders as simply
Mysterious creatures of nature.
My fears, however, are real
And not about nomenclature.

I can try to stay calm
In the future whenever I meet one.
But I can tell you right now:
I will not HOLD or EAT one!

By Bob B (3-23-15)


No comments:

Post a Comment